Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Passion

As I sit here eating my faux Chinese take-out (Panda Express) I realize I have become a hypocrite. There was a time that I was neck deep in sociological study where I protested Internet filters on university computers, when I would have packed up my newborn son and joined a freedom march cross country had it been the era. I was going to rid the world of inequality, starting with not gender socializing my son. Now I am signing the child up for football, second year now. To my defense: he sleeps with a teddy bear, is the sweetest male I have ever known, and has to concentrate on being aggressive. I have no passion for anything anymore, I teach sociology but cannot transfer my lost passion to my students. I feel like I'm not on the cutting edge of society, as if I have been caught up in the herd and am just following the ewe in front of me. I have "settled" for the mundane life of mother, wife, teacher....I say "settled" because I was going to be the INNOVATIVE of those roles. The mother unexpected, the beyond equal spouse, and the best damn teacher that ever walked. I need to find a new passion that fits with my Beaver Cleaver life I happened on. How do I do this? Or how do I rekindle the passion that once was but adapt it to dinner at 6, baths at 7, and bedtime at 9?

1 comment:

Missuz J said...

I totally feel you. If you figure it out, please let me know.