Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Proactiv

Hormones are so strange. In high school I was only plagued with one or two zits once a month. They would usually pop up in places that could be concealed easily: along the hair line, on my forehead (come on, it was the 90's everyone had bangs), or in the crease along my nose (cover girl cover up). I didn' t use expensive face care lines, I wore cheap makeup that I usually wore to bed, and I washed my face with the same soap as I used on my body. Since I have become an adult I have been plagued with ACNE!! WTF!! Puberty has come and gone--why now? Now that I'm 30 I have to not only fight zits but cover, treat, and prevent wrinkles. That is always fun: how do you judge the moisturizer because I'm damned if I use it and damned if I don't. I have been a compulsive user of quite a few EXPENSIVE skin care lines and they either made my breakout way worse or didn't do a damn thing.
We have all had the opportunity of suffering from insomnia at some point in our lives and if you're like me I am always drawn to the late night infomercials. I was especially drawn to the Proactiv one, as drawn as a moth in July is drawn to my bathroom light fixture. How could I not be intriged? There was Vanessa Williams (post Miss America and grammy award winning singer) and Jessica Simpson (short on the brain cells, blessed with the rack) telling me about how they, too, have adult acne and used this shit and look how flawless their faces are now: no zits, no scars. BEFORE YOU START: I am not an idiot, this is TV and anyone can be airbrushed or made up so thick you can't see a thing. But it was 3 o'clock in the friggin morning and I was hooked. I ordered the shit the next day and it seems to work. Normally when I'm on my period I look like an extra large deep dish but I'm only sporting 2 major zits--that is a huge accomplishment. Unfortunately I'm not getting a cut of the profits for Proactiv; it works for me.

No comments: